* The most common point of entry to a home was the front door, most often opened with a pry bar.
* The most common method of entry to a business was also prying a window or door.
* Only 7.8% of the total value stolen from residences was recovered.
* 14.8% of the total value stolen was recovered from burglaries of businesses.
* The average value stolen from homes was US$1,517.
* The average value stolen from businesses was US$1,890.
* In 13% of residential break-ins, a burglar encounters someone at home. One-third of those encounters leads to assault and one in ten leads to rape (Bureau of Justice Statistics).
* Homes without security systems are about 3 times more likely to be broken into than homes with security systems (Temple University Study).